United Way Women’s Leadership Council (WLC) mobilizes the power of women’s philanthropy to make meaningful investments that address tough social issues in our communities.
The WLC is a global network of more than 60,000 women in 155 communities across six countries, all dedicated to improving lives and creating stronger communities.
The concept recognizes women as an emerging and powerful philanthropic force.
With more members giving more money than any other similar women’s group, WLC members make up the single most successful organization of its kind, having raised more than $1 billion since its inception in 2002 and affecting worldwide change in real ways.
A common denominator is a shared belief in the work of the United Way Women’s Leadership Councils. A recent survey also showed that members like belonging to an organization created and led by women and connecting with other powerful, committed women in their communities.
The Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University reported women are more likely to give and give at a higher amount across most income levels. Yet the contribution of these women leaders goes well beyond financial donations: they get involved, shake things up and create great change.
The Women’s Leadership Council – United Way Simcoe Muskoka (WLC - UWSM) is a group of like-minded, professional women who are focused on making a meaningful impact on well-being and social issues. In our inaugural year the intent is to invest in projects positively impacting youth. Members are empowered to be active philanthropists and part of influencing intentional change in our community. The council will advocate, unite and take action on issues that hit closest to home.
With a contribution of $2,000 or more annually, members act as both donors and key decision-makers through our annual grant selection process. WLC combines the benefits of a small giving circle with a trusted organization - United Way Simcoe Muskoka.
Objectives of Council
• Mobilize women’s philanthropy
• Inform women about critical issues affecting youth in Simcoe Muskoka (year one)
• Offer optional opportunities to become meaningfully engaged in projects impacting youth in our region
• Connect with a powerful network of caring women leaders
• Receive invitations to exclusive networking and educational events
• Make a personal impact through a group gift
• Build awareness about critical issues within our community
• Receive e-updates on the WLC's work
• Opportunities to volunteer your time, professional expertise, and talent
• Contribute to influencing women’s philanthropy in Simcoe Muskoka
• Learn from a leading social service organization about key issues impacting our communities
Is your company interested in being a part of UWSM’s Women’s Leadership Council?
Corporate Sponsorship Benefits:
When you sponsor the Women’s Leadership Council, you associate your company and brand with this powerful network of women who will make a difference in our community.
Your female employees who represent your company on the council:
• will be invited to participate in whatever way is appropriate for them
• will be invited to attend Women’s Leadership Council meetings and events
• will be invited to attend Women in Leadership Luncheon
• will receive regular updates on the projects and programs supported by United Way and the Women’s Leadership Council
We invite you to be part of the solution that’s happening worldwide and in your community. To learn more about how you can be more involved in your United Way - and connect with interesting, dynamic women who are making a difference, please contact:
Chief Executive Officer
Download WLC information sheet here: PDF (1MB)