Your privacy is important to us!
United Way Simcoe Muskoka is committed to protecting the privacy of its donors and other individuals about or from whom we collect personal information.
United Way Simcoe Muskoka embraces the principles of the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information to ensure that all personal information is properly collected, used only for the purposes for which it is collected and is disposed of in a safe and timely manner when no longer required.
United Way Simcoe Muskoka is a registered Canadian charity dedicated to supporting a network of social-service agencies through fundraising and fund distribution. We rely on the support of generous contributors, and achieve our fundraising objectives by engaging with and understanding our donors. Because we deal with individuals and information about those individuals, it is essential that we protect the privacy of that information.
THE PRIVACY PRINCIPLES
Our mandate is to maintain and enhance long-term relationships with our donors in order to support our funded agencies, and an important aspect of these relationships is the institutional knowledge of our donors. We also recognize that information is precious, and our donors trust us to treat that information appropriately: we are committed to protecting the confidentiality of this data. The following principles reflect our pledge to safeguard donors' personal information:
1. We are accountable for your personal information
We are responsible for all personal information in our possession. Personal Information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. This information can include any individual’s opinions, beliefs, as well as facts about, or related to the individual. Exceptions: Business contact information and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses, telephone numbers as published in telephone directories, are not considered personal information. If an individual uses his or her home contact information as business contact information, this information is not subject to protection as personal information.
All employees, agents and authorized service providers of United Way Simcoe Muskoka are required to protect the confidentiality of your personal information.
We take every precaution to ensure confidentiality of your information. The data you or your employer provides to us is used to assist in our campaign, process, receipt your donation and respond to any of your requests.
We keep your personal information and the business you do with us in strict confidence.
2. We collect, use and disclose personal information only for certain purposes that we identify to you
We collect, use or disclose personal information only to:
• Help us in our fundraising campaign
• Process and receipt your donation
• Provide you with information about United Way
• Respond to any of your information requests
• With your consent, recognize you publicly for your donation if you give us permission
• Share the information with another United Way or charity at your request
• We obtain personal information about you lawfully and fairly.
• Personal information collected will be limited to that required for the purpose or purposes identified by us.
3. We will obtain your consent
We collect, use or disclose your personal information with your permission.
Your permission may be expressed in writing or be implied, and you may give it to us verbally or electronically. You may withdraw your permission to collect, use and disclose your personal information at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. We will obtain your consent before making information available to third parties.
• Designations - when a portion of your gift is directed to another United Way or another charity, we provide the amount of your donation, your name and the name of your employer to the recipient. If you do not wish this to occur, we ask you to indicate this in the appropriate section of your pledge form;
• Leadership Donors - leadership donors may be publicly recognized by United Way. If you prefer to remain anonymous, please indicate this on the box on the form when making your pledge.
4. We keep your personal information accurate and up to date
We maintain appropriate procedures to ensure that personal information in our possession is accurate and up to date. You are entitled to seek a correction of your personal information if you believe that the information in our possession is not correct.
• If you believe any of the information we have collected about you is incorrect or incomplete, you have the right to ask us to change it or delete it.
• If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, we will make the necessary changes.
5. We do not sell your personal information
We do not sell your personal information. We do share your personal information with other organizations in the following circumstances ONLY:
• Workplace Donors - If you are a donor to your workplace campaign, your information is not shared with other organizations, unless a portion of your gift is directed to another United Way or another charity.
6. We will limit how long we keep information
We will keep your personal information only as long as it is necessary to satisfy the purposes for which it was obtained, or as required by law. When we destroy personal information, we will use safeguards to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to that information during the process.
7. We safeguard your personal information
United Way Simcoe Muskoka will protect your personal information by safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of that information. Access to your personal information is restricted to United Way Simcoe Muskoka employees who need it to do their jobs.
We maintain appropriate technical and organizational safeguards to protect your personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
We have developed security procedures to safeguard and protect personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized disclosure, copying, and unauthorized use or modification. We will maintain appropriate safeguards and security procedures that reflect the types of documents, including electronic or paper records, organizational measures including security clearances and limiting access on a "need-to-know" basis, and technological measures such as the use of passwords.
We collect only the domain name (e.g., Sympatico, Hotmail, etc.) not the email address of visitors to our website, unless you choose to register on our website. Our site uses "cookies" – small files containing information that track a visit to a website – in a session-limited way. These temporary files follow the flow through the site in order to improve service to visitors, do not remain on your computer at the end of your visit, and cannot be used to obtain any personally identifiable details.
Your browser can be set to notify you before receipt of a cookie, so that you can decide whether or not to accept it. (You can also set your browser to turn off cookies, but if you do so, some areas of our site and others may not function properly.)
8. We will be open about our privacy practices
United Way Simcoe Muskoka will make readily available to you specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
9. We allow you to access your personal information
You may ask whether we hold any personal information about you, see that information, and ensure its accuracy as provided by law. You also have the right to know:
• how we collected your personal information
• how we are using it
If asked, we will make your stored data available for your review by appointment. Photo identification will be required at this appointment prior to viewing the information.
10. You may register a complaint
You may register a privacy-related complaint by contacting United Way Simcoe Muskoka’s Privacy Officer. We will explain our procedure and inform you about other complaint procedures available. We will investigate all complaints. If an objection is justified, we will take all appropriate steps to repair the situation, including changing our policies and practices if necessary. Personal information relating to volunteers, job applicants and employees are subject to similar protocols.
United Way Simcoe Muskoka’s Privacy Officer is:
John Morrison, B.A., C.P.A., C.G.A.
Director, Finance and Operations